Wednesday, April 7, 2010

I see you but I don't know where you are...

Or "I hear you but I don't know what you mean" or "I'm here but I don't know where I am". It's really frustrating to be in a context and not be aware of that context. Have you ever had someone angry at you and you don't know why? Have you ever felt like their expectations were unfair? Have you ever been in an awkward situation and you simply didn't know how to respond wisely?

"No expectation is valid unless it is communicated and agreed upon by both parties." That's become a favorite quote when it comes to understanding how to function in relationship with people. You can't read people's minds and they can't read yours. We have to orient people toward a context and communicate expectations. Only then can we understand how to function in a given situation/relationship.

I'm a worship leader and I enjoy it. I'm also a singer/songwriter and storyteller. I am passionate about these things. I'm passionate about creating and communicating in order to feed relationship between God and people.

Last October my friend Brian Mulder and I took a month off and traveled all around the Eastern half of the United States sharing songs and stories. Mostly in people's living rooms. We discovered that, if we were to do that in a thoughtful way to serve people, we would have to give some sort of 'orientation' talk at the outset of each concert. People just needed to understand what they were in for. They needed to have the context communicated in order to understand how to function and respond and participate.

Most folks had never experienced a house concert before and simply didn't know what to do with it. Each time we explained what was happening, Brian and I could feel a sense of relief and 'getting it' breeze across the place. The context was clear, the expectations had been communicated and everyone was at ease because they knew how to participate. Fascinating.

We need a context wherein expectations have been made known and the parameters of participation have been defined. This is always the case in relationships. It's actually a huge relief to be here and know where you are, to hear you and know what you mean, to see you and know where you are. It's a way to serve each other, to be considerate. It takes honesty, effort, and humility.

For me at the moment, I'm thinking of how can I create a clear 'orientation' or 'mission' statement for the work that I do. I want people to easily understand my work and be freed to participate.

This may be a strange question, but would you leave a comment about what you 'got out of' a concert or worship time with me? What did you perceive was 'happening' during that time? What did it feel like was the purpose? That may help me see my calling externally and be able to articulate better a kind of missional statement. Thanks!

Any other thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment