Saturday, January 16, 2010

Hebrews and Haiti

I saw a link on Donald Miller's twitter the other day that took me to the site of a journalist reporting from Haiti. It was horrific. The photos were amazing but so sad. It's an incredible situation and in many ways I feel so helpless. But I found another site of a group called "Flourish". Here's the Link:

http://flourishonline.org/2010/01/the-real-truth-about-haiti-and-what-your-church-can-do-now-and-in-the-future/

They had posted an interesting summary of the economic history of Haiti. Haiti has always had a tough go at it. Systems of oppression in place as they began their life as a republic set a strong and negative precedent for the people today.

Flourish also listed some good advice on how to participate in the relief work wisely. Check out those links and see what you can do.

One of the stories I read from the reporter I mentioned earlier stunned me. He spoke of the people grieving deeply. He spoke of how with every tremor and aftershock he would hear frightened screams in the night. Yet there was another sound that struck him as he listened awake on his bed in the heavy darkness: the sound of the people singing through the night.

I finished reading Hebrews today and wrote a song. There's a song from Haiti that I haven't quite been able to get a hold on, but this is one from the closing chapters of Hebrews. I hope if I were covered in the dust of shattered buildings lying in the dark trembling with the trembling earth itself, I hope I could sing still in faith about the things I cannot see that I long for. - Matthew



Faith is the confidence that hope in the Lord never fails
Sight never sees far, be assured that his promise prevails
Many came before and still they await his return
We know his voice, and the family of Jesus stands firm

CHORUS:
Sing the song of the faithful ones
Who carry on with the work of God:
This world never will be our home
Hold on until he comes

Let us strip off the sin that would stand in our way
Set before us is the race that will end when he says
Well done my good and faithful beloved of God
you who bore the cross now take up your life

1 comment:

  1. "I hope if I were covered in the dust of shattered buildings lying in the dark trembling with the trembling earth itself, I hope I could sing still in faith about the things I cannot see that I long for."

    I hope I could sing still... it's always singing, isn't it? there's just something about singing.

    ReplyDelete